Sunday, June 3, 2007

Caregivers

Going through the cancer experience is hard enough. It is darn near impossible for many people, myself included, to go through it without having a great caregiver by their side. My wife, Brenda, has been my rock this whole time. I would never have been able to handle things on my own. She keeps track of all of my many appointments (doctors, labs, etc.) She keeps on me about drinking fluids and taking my meds. Just about anything else of importance she has to remind me about because chemo tends to cause short term memory loss. Ask me about something 20 years ago and I will probably remember. Ask me about something that happened 15 minutes ago and I will probably draw a blank. I just found a good book that might be helpful for people close in your life to read. It is called "help me live - 20 things people with cancer want you to know" by Lori Hope. I got it through Amazon.com. It had great reviews and I will be reading it soon. Then I will pass it along to somebody in my family.

Many caregivers will wear themselves out, taking care of everybody else, but neglecting themselves. It is important to make your caregiver understand that they must take care of themselves first or they won't be able to provide the care the sick person needs. My wife, bless her soul, not only takes care of me but our 7 children. I try to help with as much as I am able and the kids have been somewhat helpful. They usually don't volunteer for chores but will help when asked. Caregivers NEED to be able to ask for help, whenever needed. Many people (family, friends, church members, etc.) will be more than willing to help out with things, IF they are asked. Do not be afraid to ask for help. It can be for many different tasks from taking the sick person to an appointment to helping with meals.

Caregivers are a very important part of the cancer experience. I hope that you have somebody that can fulfill this vital role. Take care and God Bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so great to know that you have an awesome woman by your side...your very lucky, believe it or not that she is so strong. I pray for her, you and your family to positive. You WILL beat this...hang in there Kim. God Bless you and yours...

My Yesterdays said...

Brenda is your angel she is your rock , thank goodness she is there everyone needs a little help at this time and she is the best . I know what she is going through and I have told her many times to take care of her to but that is hard to do sometimes when your so involved with another persons life.. let her do what she does best and then when your better there will be time for her to . Then you better get her out to a spa for a whole day to relax buddy..